To receive the in-district tuition rate, a student 21 years of age or older must meet all of the following requirements:

  1. Be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, H visa holder, or refugee.
  2. Maintain a legal residence* in one of the eight sponsoring school districts** for at least 90 consecutive days prior to start of the semester for which they are applying.

    *A legal residence is a student's permanent place of residence and one they have moved into for reasons other than attending college. Students living with in-district relatives do not qualify as legal residents.

    **Bangor, Bethlehem, Easton, Nazareth, Northampton, Pen Argyl, Saucon Valley, or Wilson

  3. Provide two proofs of residency dated 90 days before a semester begins from the list below:
    • A PA driver's license with current address
    • per capita (school district) tax receipt for the current year
    • valid PA Department of Transportation ID card
    • lease (per capita tax bill or receipt or a utility bill needs to be the 2nd proof)
    • utility bill (is accepted as 2nd form of proof for lease only)
    • deed - home ownership is exempt from the 90 day rule

A student under the age of 21 retains the residency of his/her parents.

Families moving into a sponsoring school district (see ** above) must submit a Change of Information form and show proof of parents' residence with the required documents listed above to the Admissions Office (for new students) or the Records Office (for returning students).

A student under 21 not living with parents may be eligible for in-district rates if he/she proves independence. He/she must submit documentation proving independent status.

The definition of an independent student is one who is:

  1. a veteran
  2. married
  3. an orphan or ward of the court
  4. has legal dependents for whom he/she provides at least 50% of the support
  5. a full time, permanent, benefits eligible employee who pays local or per capita tax in-district.

If proof of one of the above cannot be given, the student maintains parents' residence.

Important Notes

  1. Students must document their residency before the first day of the semester in order to receive in-district rates for that semester. Students who qualify for residency after the beginning of a semester will be granted the appropriate tuition rates for the following semester. The college will not make retroactive changes to residency status.
  2. Veterans retain the residency they had at the time they entered the military. They can qualify for in-district tuition as stated above.
  3. If a student can not provide any of the documents listed above, please contact Admissions or Records for further guidance.
  4. The documents will be reviewed and decided upon by the Residence Committee. Appeals of committee decisions will be reviewed by the Vice President of Student Affairs.
  5. The College reserves the right to request additional information when appropriate. Until this residency documentation is received, student tuition will be assessed at the out-of-district or out-of-state rate. Falsification of records will result in immediate and retroactive residence change to out-of-county or out-of-state, and could result in disciplinary action.
  6. NCC's decision to approve in-district residency may be challenged by the school district if their records do not reflect proper residency status. Out-of-county (those not residing within the eight sponsoring school districts) and out-of-state students will be charged non-resident fees.